- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
Ray shines in Portugal
- Updated: May 31, 2012
Leading aerobics gymnast, Ray Meas, took a superb sixth place in the individual senior final category at the recent Portugal Aerobics World Cup.
The World Cup was held in┬á Ponta Delgada, Azores and is final competition in the run-up to the 12th Aerobics World Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Ray, who hails from Ottery, Cape Town, is currently a third year medical student at the University of Stellenbosch. The 20-year-old’s achievements at the Portugal Aerobics World Cup have being quite phenomenal, considering he is faced with the constant challenge of having to juggle his full time studies, fulfilling his hospital call duties and keeping abreast of his training schedule.
In addition to this, much of his preparations leading up to this competition were carried out on his own, with his coach Anne Vermaak from Flairs Gymnastics Club recently giving birth.
As per Anne Vermaak, ÔÇ£We would like to thank Eickhoff (Pty) Ltd, SAGF and Macsteel Maestros of the Future who assisted Ray financially to attend both this World Cup and the World Championships. The City of Cape Town also assists in providing a facility for Ray to train on the international floor, which is critical to his preparation. The University of Stellenbosch has also been extremely supportive of Ray being overseas for three weeks to represent his countryÔÇØ.
Ray now heads off to Bulgaria, where he will train for a week with International coach Gerogi Sergiev, before meeting up with the rest of the SA team. The 12th World Championships in Sofia is the qualifying event for the 2013 World Games in Cali, Colombia with the World games being the most prestigious event for non-Olympic sports. The previous World Games were held in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
Ray is a shining example to amateur athletes, proving that with strong will, drive, and good time management they can achieve all their dreams and goals.