- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
SA duo at French Open
- Updated: May 27, 2012
Our top-ranked men’s player, Kevin Anderson shouldn’t have too many sleepless nights about progressing to the next round of the French Open that starts in Paris on Sunday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Anderson, seeded 31st for the year’s second Grand Slam event, comes up against Portuguese opponent Rui Machado, a player ranked 79th to his 34th. Machado’s best French Open to date was three years ago where he made the second round.
Having said that, big-serving Anderson’s best surface is certainly not the slow clay court of Roland Garos.
Anderson reached the second round in Paris last year.
In the women’s draw our top-ranked women’s player Chani Scheepers comes up against Spanish opponent Laura Pous-tio. Scheepers is ranked 45th on the WTA rankings compared to her opponent’s 98th.