dear Philippa and Lord Louis and Verdi Philippa, Ambassador of the CoGH SPCA Horse Care Unit, we send you our warmest wishes for everything of the very best at the London Paralympics.
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Philippa’s new ride
- Updated: May 24, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Double gold medal-winning Beijing Paralympian Philippa Johnson has added another string to her bow ahead of the London Paralympics later this year.
Or should that be another saddle to her stable? Already boasting the ever-improving Verdi in her yard, the accomplished equestrian ace recently had a second competition horse sponsored for her. He goes by the name Lord Louis and it was fitting that his first competition came just two days after his seventh birthday.
“He’s a beautiful chestnut with four white legs (which drives Chris, my trainer, crazy as he always thinks they are bad luck but on the other side I have my dad whose dream horse has always been a chestnut with four white legs!). He is spectacular to say the least and I hope to do him justice.”
Johnson and Lord Louis competed at the CDR Heusden-Zolder in the L7class. She told Road to London 2012: ” I was very impressed with how Louis handled himself, he was super cool, wasn’t fased by the advertising boards, flowers around the arena, children running around and playing or any of the other noises etc that go with a show.
“There were a lot of mistakes but they were ‘we still don’t really understand each other’s mistakes which will come right with time and learning about each other.
“We finished 16th out of 22 horses with 63.23% so it’s onwards and upwards from here!”