- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Success for tennis trio
- Updated: May 20, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
There was some good news for our long-suffering tennis fans this weekend with an international doubles victory as well as a losing finalist, both in Europe.
Junior Wayne Montgomery reached the final of the 34th Tornea Internazionale “Citta Di Sana Croce” in Italy.
In Europe as part of a 16-strong international ITF/GSDF global squad of juniors Stellenbosch’s Montgomery lost to Frenchman Laurent Lokali, going down 4-6 4-6.
The Paul Roos Gymnasium student is the only South African in the group which will tour until the end of July and gain valuable experience.
Then in Uzbekistan, Raven Klaasen and Izak van der Merwe teamed up to win the Fergana Challenger Doubles title.
They were seeded second for the tournament and beat top-seeded Thai twins Chanchai and Sonchat Ratiwatana 6-3 6-4 in the final.
Their exploits saw them gain 80 ATP doubles points and a shared winners’ cheque of $2,200.