- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Success for tennis trio
- Updated: May 20, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
There was some good news for our long-suffering tennis fans this weekend with an international doubles victory as well as a losing finalist, both in Europe.
Junior Wayne Montgomery reached the final of the 34th Tornea Internazionale “Citta Di Sana Croce” in Italy.
In Europe as part of a 16-strong international ITF/GSDF global squad of juniors Stellenbosch’s Montgomery lost to Frenchman Laurent Lokali, going down 4-6 4-6.
The Paul Roos Gymnasium student is the only South African in the group which will tour until the end of July and gain valuable experience.
Then in Uzbekistan, Raven Klaasen and Izak van der Merwe teamed up to win the Fergana Challenger Doubles title.
They were seeded second for the tournament and beat top-seeded Thai twins Chanchai and Sonchat Ratiwatana 6-3 6-4 in the final.
Their exploits saw them gain 80 ATP doubles points and a shared winners’ cheque of $2,200.