- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Success for tennis trio
- Updated: May 20, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
There was some good news for our long-suffering tennis fans this weekend with an international doubles victory as well as a losing finalist, both in Europe.
Junior Wayne Montgomery reached the final of the 34th Tornea Internazionale “Citta Di Sana Croce” in Italy.
In Europe as part of a 16-strong international ITF/GSDF global squad of juniors Stellenbosch’s Montgomery lost to Frenchman Laurent Lokali, going down 4-6 4-6.
The Paul Roos Gymnasium student is the only South African in the group which will tour until the end of July and gain valuable experience.
Then in Uzbekistan, Raven Klaasen and Izak van der Merwe teamed up to win the Fergana Challenger Doubles title.
They were seeded second for the tournament and beat top-seeded Thai twins Chanchai and Sonchat Ratiwatana 6-3 6-4 in the final.
Their exploits saw them gain 80 ATP doubles points and a shared winners’ cheque of $2,200.