- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Success for tennis trio
- Updated: May 20, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
There was some good news for our long-suffering tennis fans this weekend with an international doubles victory as well as a losing finalist, both in Europe.
Junior Wayne Montgomery reached the final of the 34th Tornea Internazionale “Citta Di Sana Croce” in Italy.
In Europe as part of a 16-strong international ITF/GSDF global squad of juniors Stellenbosch’s Montgomery lost to Frenchman Laurent Lokali, going down 4-6 4-6.
The Paul Roos Gymnasium student is the only South African in the group which will tour until the end of July and gain valuable experience.
Then in Uzbekistan, Raven Klaasen and Izak van der Merwe teamed up to win the Fergana Challenger Doubles title.
They were seeded second for the tournament and beat top-seeded Thai twins Chanchai and Sonchat Ratiwatana 6-3 6-4 in the final.
Their exploits saw them gain 80 ATP doubles points and a shared winners’ cheque of $2,200.