- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Chani out in Rome
- Updated: May 18, 2012
Chani Scheepers capitulated on the clay courts of Rome on Thursday, going down to China’s Na Li in the third round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament, writes Mark Etheridge.
Scheepers fought bravely in the first set, coming back from 2-5 down to level but then went down 7-3 in the first-set tiebreak.
Li then turned up the heat and won four games on the trot to seal the win 7-6 6-2.
The match lasted an hour and 34 minutes on the Supertennis Arena and Li was the only one to make an impression in the aces category, firing down two to Scheepers’ none.
Scheepers had four double-faults compared to Li’s solitary error.
Li now comes up against 14th seeded Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.