- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
Chani out in Rome
- Updated: May 18, 2012
Chani Scheepers capitulated on the clay courts of Rome on Thursday, going down to China’s Na Li in the third round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament, writes Mark Etheridge.
Scheepers fought bravely in the first set, coming back from 2-5 down to level but then went down 7-3 in the first-set tiebreak.
Li then turned up the heat and won four games on the trot to seal the win 7-6 6-2.
The match lasted an hour and 34 minutes on the Supertennis Arena and Li was the only one to make an impression in the aces category, firing down two to Scheepers’ none.
Scheepers had four double-faults compared to Li’s solitary error.
Li now comes up against 14th seeded Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.