- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
Chani out in Rome
- Updated: May 18, 2012
Chani Scheepers capitulated on the clay courts of Rome on Thursday, going down to China’s Na Li in the third round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament, writes Mark Etheridge.
Scheepers fought bravely in the first set, coming back from 2-5 down to level but then went down 7-3 in the first-set tiebreak.
Li then turned up the heat and won four games on the trot to seal the win 7-6 6-2.
The match lasted an hour and 34 minutes on the Supertennis Arena and Li was the only one to make an impression in the aces category, firing down two to Scheepers’ none.
Scheepers had four double-faults compared to Li’s solitary error.
Li now comes up against 14th seeded Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.