- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Chani out in Rome
- Updated: May 18, 2012
Chani Scheepers capitulated on the clay courts of Rome on Thursday, going down to China’s Na Li in the third round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament, writes Mark Etheridge.
Scheepers fought bravely in the first set, coming back from 2-5 down to level but then went down 7-3 in the first-set tiebreak.
Li then turned up the heat and won four games on the trot to seal the win 7-6 6-2.
The match lasted an hour and 34 minutes on the Supertennis Arena and Li was the only one to make an impression in the aces category, firing down two to Scheepers’ none.
Scheepers had four double-faults compared to Li’s solitary error.
Li now comes up against 14th seeded Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.