- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Chani into third round
- Updated: May 17, 2012
Top-ranked Chani Scheepers moved into the third round of the Internazionali BNL D’Italia tennis tournament in Rome on Wednesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The South African toppled New Zealand opponent Marina Erakovic to advance. Playing on Court Six she came out tops in a three-set match, prevailing 5-7 6-1 6-2.
The match lasted 2hr 17min on the red clay surface and the ace count was low, with only Erakovic managing a solitary ace, with double faults shared at two apiece.
Scheepers’s first service percentage, at 66% was that much better than her Kiwi opponent’s 58% and her second serve points won statistic was significantly better (59% to 38%).
This victory should help boost Scheepers’ ranking significantly as Erakovic is ranked 11 spots higher than Scheepers, who currently finds herself at 50th on the WTA rankings list.
Scheepers must now get past eighth-seeded Na Li of China for a spot in the quarter-finals.