- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
- McGuigan also equals course record at Zim Open
- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
Chani into third round
- Updated: May 17, 2012
Top-ranked Chani Scheepers moved into the third round of the Internazionali BNL D’Italia tennis tournament in Rome on Wednesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The South African toppled New Zealand opponent Marina Erakovic to advance. Playing on Court Six she came out tops in a three-set match, prevailing 5-7 6-1 6-2.
The match lasted 2hr 17min on the red clay surface and the ace count was low, with only Erakovic managing a solitary ace, with double faults shared at two apiece.
Scheepers’s first service percentage, at 66% was that much better than her Kiwi opponent’s 58% and her second serve points won statistic was significantly better (59% to 38%).
This victory should help boost Scheepers’ ranking significantly as Erakovic is ranked 11 spots higher than Scheepers, who currently finds herself at 50th on the WTA rankings list.
Scheepers must now get past eighth-seeded Na Li of China for a spot in the quarter-finals.