- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Chani into third round
- Updated: May 17, 2012
Top-ranked Chani Scheepers moved into the third round of the Internazionali BNL D’Italia tennis tournament in Rome on Wednesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The South African toppled New Zealand opponent Marina Erakovic to advance. Playing on Court Six she came out tops in a three-set match, prevailing 5-7 6-1 6-2.
The match lasted 2hr 17min on the red clay surface and the ace count was low, with only Erakovic managing a solitary ace, with double faults shared at two apiece.
Scheepers’s first service percentage, at 66% was that much better than her Kiwi opponent’s 58% and her second serve points won statistic was significantly better (59% to 38%).
This victory should help boost Scheepers’ ranking significantly as Erakovic is ranked 11 spots higher than Scheepers, who currently finds herself at 50th on the WTA rankings list.
Scheepers must now get past eighth-seeded Na Li of China for a spot in the quarter-finals.