- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Chani into third round
- Updated: May 17, 2012
Top-ranked Chani Scheepers moved into the third round of the Internazionali BNL D’Italia tennis tournament in Rome on Wednesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The South African toppled New Zealand opponent Marina Erakovic to advance. Playing on Court Six she came out tops in a three-set match, prevailing 5-7 6-1 6-2.
The match lasted 2hr 17min on the red clay surface and the ace count was low, with only Erakovic managing a solitary ace, with double faults shared at two apiece.
Scheepers’s first service percentage, at 66% was that much better than her Kiwi opponent’s 58% and her second serve points won statistic was significantly better (59% to 38%).
This victory should help boost Scheepers’ ranking significantly as Erakovic is ranked 11 spots higher than Scheepers, who currently finds herself at 50th on the WTA rankings list.
Scheepers must now get past eighth-seeded Na Li of China for a spot in the quarter-finals.