- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Chani into third round
- Updated: May 17, 2012
Top-ranked Chani Scheepers moved into the third round of the Internazionali BNL D’Italia tennis tournament in Rome on Wednesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The South African toppled New Zealand opponent Marina Erakovic to advance. Playing on Court Six she came out tops in a three-set match, prevailing 5-7 6-1 6-2.
The match lasted 2hr 17min on the red clay surface and the ace count was low, with only Erakovic managing a solitary ace, with double faults shared at two apiece.
Scheepers’s first service percentage, at 66% was that much better than her Kiwi opponent’s 58% and her second serve points won statistic was significantly better (59% to 38%).
This victory should help boost Scheepers’ ranking significantly as Erakovic is ranked 11 spots higher than Scheepers, who currently finds herself at 50th on the WTA rankings list.
Scheepers must now get past eighth-seeded Na Li of China for a spot in the quarter-finals.