- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
- SA hurdles ‘veterans’ battle it out for 2017 bragging rights
- Mansfield increases lead at Boland Amateur Open
- Munyai hoping to provide for surprise at nationals
- Updated: May 16, 2012
Commonwealth Games silver medallist Jennifer Khwela is back in action after a lengthy break due to surgery, writes Mark Etheridge.
Khwela won silver in the vault at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, Indiaand was expected to be part of Team South Africa at the London Olympics later this year but then she needed surgery after injuring knee ligaments.
She took part in an Artistic Invitational Competition held at the Pinetown Gymnastics Club, KwaZulu-Natal, 5-6 May 2012. Jennifer was able to compete in all four Women’s Artistic Apparatus, with scaled down routines.
She looks to have made great progress after five months of intense rehabilitation after the surgery late last year. The injury put paid to any chances of her qualifying for the Olympics but the good news is that she’s back to a full six-day-a-week workout schedule and will be hopeing to return to full competition level shortly.
Meanwhile the 2012 Artistic Nationals are looming large with the Men’s and Women’s┬áNationals scheduled for 1-2 June 2012, at the Matsport Centre, Pretoria.
This competition features the top-level national gymnasts while Nationals for the lower levels (L4-L8) will be taking part at SA Gym Games, which will be held in October this year in Johannesburg and Pretoria.