- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Updated: May 16, 2012
Commonwealth Games silver medallist Jennifer Khwela is back in action after a lengthy break due to surgery, writes Mark Etheridge.
Khwela won silver in the vault at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, Indiaand was expected to be part of Team South Africa at the London Olympics later this year but then she needed surgery after injuring knee ligaments.
She took part in an Artistic Invitational Competition held at the Pinetown Gymnastics Club, KwaZulu-Natal, 5-6 May 2012. Jennifer was able to compete in all four Women’s Artistic Apparatus, with scaled down routines.
She looks to have made great progress after five months of intense rehabilitation after the surgery late last year. The injury put paid to any chances of her qualifying for the Olympics but the good news is that she’s back to a full six-day-a-week workout schedule and will be hopeing to return to full competition level shortly.
Meanwhile the 2012 Artistic Nationals are looming large with the Men’s and Women’s┬áNationals scheduled for 1-2 June 2012, at the Matsport Centre, Pretoria.
This competition features the top-level national gymnasts while Nationals for the lower levels (L4-L8) will be taking part at SA Gym Games, which will be held in October this year in Johannesburg and Pretoria.