- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Updated: May 16, 2012
Commonwealth Games silver medallist Jennifer Khwela is back in action after a lengthy break due to surgery, writes Mark Etheridge.
Khwela won silver in the vault at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, Indiaand was expected to be part of Team South Africa at the London Olympics later this year but then she needed surgery after injuring knee ligaments.
She took part in an Artistic Invitational Competition held at the Pinetown Gymnastics Club, KwaZulu-Natal, 5-6 May 2012. Jennifer was able to compete in all four Women’s Artistic Apparatus, with scaled down routines.
She looks to have made great progress after five months of intense rehabilitation after the surgery late last year. The injury put paid to any chances of her qualifying for the Olympics but the good news is that she’s back to a full six-day-a-week workout schedule and will be hopeing to return to full competition level shortly.
Meanwhile the 2012 Artistic Nationals are looming large with the Men’s and Women’s┬áNationals scheduled for 1-2 June 2012, at the Matsport Centre, Pretoria.
This competition features the top-level national gymnasts while Nationals for the lower levels (L4-L8) will be taking part at SA Gym Games, which will be held in October this year in Johannesburg and Pretoria.