- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
Reinardt wins again
- Updated: May 6, 2012
Saturday’s 202-kilometre stage of the Ronde van Overijssel race was always going to be tough for Team MTN-Qhubeka to defend the slender lead of Reinardt Janse van Rensburg after his victory in yesterday’s prologue time trial.
But these days everything Van Rensburg touches turns to gold and he came up trumps yet again.
With 180 riders all within seconds of each other and with three time bonus sprints on offer during the stage and the time bonus at the finish just riding in the front of the group was not going to be enough.
Team MTN-Qhubeka were happy to let a breakaway of 2 riders go early in the race but at 140km into the race the whole team was on the front to set up the sprint for Janse van Rensburg for the final time bonus sprint at 146km. Janse van Rensburg did not disappoint by winning this time bonus and extending his lead. This meant that he did not have to contest the final sprint at the finish to win the overall.
Team MTN-Qhubeka were back on the front for the final 50km’s to keep the race together but disaster struck when the whole team, including the yellow jersey, crashed through a sharp turn in the wet. All riders were okay but it took some time to re integrate into the main field on the narrow roads and through the large bunch.
Soon after the bunch split into three distinct groups with Janse van Rensburg in the front split and in the final 30km he had to fend for himself in a group of 30 riders.
The stage win went to Wim Stroetinga (Koga Cycling Team) in a time of 4hr 43min 04sec, second was Timothy Dupont (Jong Vlaanderen-Bauknecht) with Remco Te Brake (De Rijke) third and Janse van Rensburg fourth.
The team now take on Sunday’s Circuit de Wallonie in Belgium, a race that Janse van Rensburg won as a junior in 2007.
General Classification Ronde van Overijssel:
1 Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (Team MTN-Qhubeka)
2 Huub Duyn (Cycling Team de Reijke) @5sec
3 Wim Stoetinga (Koga Cycling Team) @6sec
25┬áMartin Wesseman (Team MTN-Qhubeka) @25sec