- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Boxers win bronze
- Updated: May 5, 2012
South African boxing duo Siphiwe Lusizi and Ayabonga Sonjica bagged bronze medals at the AIBA Olympic qualifier in Casablanca, Morocco on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Both lost their semi-final bouts but by virtue of making the semi-finals they earned bronze medals and provisionally qualified for the London Olympics later this year.
Their inclusion in Team South Africa now rests at board level of the national Olympic governing body SASCOC.
Lusizi took on Mali’s Mohamed Diaby in the 69 kilogram division and final points score was 15-15 but Diaby got the judges’ nod. The first round was tied 6-6, Diaby edged the second 6-5┬á and Lusizi took the third 3-4.
Sonjica was campaigning in the 56kg division and lost to London based Ghanaian Isaac Dogboe. The final tally was 8-6 to Dogboe.
The teenager took the first round 4-3, drew the second 2-2 and shaded the last 2-1.