- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Boxers win bronze
- Updated: May 5, 2012
South African boxing duo Siphiwe Lusizi and Ayabonga Sonjica bagged bronze medals at the AIBA Olympic qualifier in Casablanca, Morocco on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Both lost their semi-final bouts but by virtue of making the semi-finals they earned bronze medals and provisionally qualified for the London Olympics later this year.
Their inclusion in Team South Africa now rests at board level of the national Olympic governing body SASCOC.
Lusizi took on Mali’s Mohamed Diaby in the 69 kilogram division and final points score was 15-15 but Diaby got the judges’ nod. The first round was tied 6-6, Diaby edged the second 6-5┬á and Lusizi took the third 3-4.
Sonjica was campaigning in the 56kg division and lost to London based Ghanaian Isaac Dogboe. The final tally was 8-6 to Dogboe.
The teenager took the first round 4-3, drew the second 2-2 and shaded the last 2-1.