- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
SA into final
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Despite a slight scare from China, the South African men’s hockey has now reached the final of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan, writes Mark Etheridge.
That was after Japan’s early 3-2 win against China in the last round of round robin matches.
China lead the more fancied Japanese 2-1 at half-time before eventually going down 3-2. Had China beaten Japan, South Africa would have to beat Austria in their last pool match also being played on Friday.
Now South Africa, who trailed Austria at half-time, don’t need any points from their game against Austria and will play Japan in
Sunday’s final. Now that game is a win or bust situation for South Africa. They need to win the qualifying tournament to seal their spot in Team SA for the London Olympics.