- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
SA into final
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Despite a slight scare from China, the South African men’s hockey has now reached the final of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan, writes Mark Etheridge.
That was after Japan’s early 3-2 win against China in the last round of round robin matches.
China lead the more fancied Japanese 2-1 at half-time before eventually going down 3-2. Had China beaten Japan, South Africa would have to beat Austria in their last pool match also being played on Friday.
Now South Africa, who trailed Austria at half-time, don’t need any points from their game against Austria and will play Japan in
Sunday’s final. Now that game is a win or bust situation for South Africa. They need to win the qualifying tournament to seal their spot in Team SA for the London Olympics.