- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
SA into final
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Despite a slight scare from China, the South African men’s hockey has now reached the final of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan, writes Mark Etheridge.
That was after Japan’s early 3-2 win against China in the last round of round robin matches.
China lead the more fancied Japanese 2-1 at half-time before eventually going down 3-2. Had China beaten Japan, South Africa would have to beat Austria in their last pool match also being played on Friday.
Now South Africa, who trailed Austria at half-time, don’t need any points from their game against Austria and will play Japan in
Sunday’s final. Now that game is a win or bust situation for South Africa. They need to win the qualifying tournament to seal their spot in Team SA for the London Olympics.