- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
SA draw with Austria
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Two second-half goals from skipper Austin Smith secured South Africa a 2-2 draw with Austria in the Olympic hockey qualification tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan.
The match, a final round-robin fixture, had been rendered inconsequential by Japan’s beating of China in the earlier fixture, writes Mark Etheridge.
Japan will now play South Africa in the tournament’s final on Sunday (8am SA time). They have to win to secure a spot at the Olympic Games in London later this year.
Austria led South Africa 1-0 at halftime through a Michael Korper strike in the 20th minute.
Smith then equalised in the 49th minute before George Jelinek put the Austrians ahead again.
Captain Smith then ensured that South Africa stayed unbeaten in the tournament till now when he netted his second goal from a penalty corner in the 65th minute.