- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
SA draw with Austria
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Two second-half goals from skipper Austin Smith secured South Africa a 2-2 draw with Austria in the Olympic hockey qualification tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan.
The match, a final round-robin fixture, had been rendered inconsequential by Japan’s beating of China in the earlier fixture, writes Mark Etheridge.
Japan will now play South Africa in the tournament’s final on Sunday (8am SA time). They have to win to secure a spot at the Olympic Games in London later this year.
Austria led South Africa 1-0 at halftime through a Michael Korper strike in the 20th minute.
Smith then equalised in the 49th minute before George Jelinek put the Austrians ahead again.
Captain Smith then ensured that South Africa stayed unbeaten in the tournament till now when he netted his second goal from a penalty corner in the 65th minute.