- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
SA draw with Austria
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Two second-half goals from skipper Austin Smith secured South Africa a 2-2 draw with Austria in the Olympic hockey qualification tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan.
The match, a final round-robin fixture, had been rendered inconsequential by Japan’s beating of China in the earlier fixture, writes Mark Etheridge.
Japan will now play South Africa in the tournament’s final on Sunday (8am SA time). They have to win to secure a spot at the Olympic Games in London later this year.
Austria led South Africa 1-0 at halftime through a Michael Korper strike in the 20th minute.
Smith then equalised in the 49th minute before George Jelinek put the Austrians ahead again.
Captain Smith then ensured that South Africa stayed unbeaten in the tournament till now when he netted his second goal from a penalty corner in the 65th minute.