- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
- SA athletics already have Tokyo 2020 on their mind
- Storm leads suspended Open as McIlroy suffers setback
- Western Cape gears up for national championships
- Horne and Fisher upstage world No2 at SA Open
- Selepe set to make history at Davis Cup tie
SA draw with Austria
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Two second-half goals from skipper Austin Smith secured South Africa a 2-2 draw with Austria in the Olympic hockey qualification tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan.
The match, a final round-robin fixture, had been rendered inconsequential by Japan’s beating of China in the earlier fixture, writes Mark Etheridge.
Japan will now play South Africa in the tournament’s final on Sunday (8am SA time). They have to win to secure a spot at the Olympic Games in London later this year.
Austria led South Africa 1-0 at halftime through a Michael Korper strike in the 20th minute.
Smith then equalised in the 49th minute before George Jelinek put the Austrians ahead again.
Captain Smith then ensured that South Africa stayed unbeaten in the tournament till now when he netted his second goal from a penalty corner in the 65th minute.