- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
SA draw with Austria
- Updated: May 4, 2012
Two second-half goals from skipper Austin Smith secured South Africa a 2-2 draw with Austria in the Olympic hockey qualification tournament in Kakamigahara, Japan.
The match, a final round-robin fixture, had been rendered inconsequential by Japan’s beating of China in the earlier fixture, writes Mark Etheridge.
Japan will now play South Africa in the tournament’s final on Sunday (8am SA time). They have to win to secure a spot at the Olympic Games in London later this year.
Austria led South Africa 1-0 at halftime through a Michael Korper strike in the 20th minute.
Smith then equalised in the 49th minute before George Jelinek put the Austrians ahead again.
Captain Smith then ensured that South Africa stayed unbeaten in the tournament till now when he netted his second goal from a penalty corner in the 65th minute.