- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
SA duo reach final
- Updated: April 21, 2012
South African acro gymnasts Emilio Abreu and Malik Baatjies have qualified for Sunday’s finals of the men’s pairs of the World Age Group Competitions in Florida, US after ending in fourth place.
“Emilio and Malik received huge applause for their dynamic routine and scored well over 27,” coach Natalia Prokopchik von Willigh said.
She said that the competition in all the sections are extremely high as more and more countries enter the spectacular discipline of gymnastics.
“The two boys need to out score gymnasts from Russia, Ukraine, Belgium and Great Britain in order to win a medal and that will be an extremely difficult task,” she said.
This year 36 countries entered the event. South Africa is represented by 18 gymnasts.
Matome Tshishonga and Natalie Friesling, South Africa’s only senior gymnasts, earlier in the week finished in the 11th place in the Acro Gymnastics World Championships.