- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
- Muizenberg hosts SA’s first Adapative Championships
- SA duo seal silver medals at African Championships
- Harris on the rise after two Futures wins
SA duo reach final
- Updated: April 21, 2012
South African acro gymnasts Emilio Abreu and Malik Baatjies have qualified for Sunday’s finals of the men’s pairs of the World Age Group Competitions in Florida, US after ending in fourth place.
“Emilio and Malik received huge applause for their dynamic routine and scored well over 27,” coach Natalia Prokopchik von Willigh said.
She said that the competition in all the sections are extremely high as more and more countries enter the spectacular discipline of gymnastics.
“The two boys need to out score gymnasts from Russia, Ukraine, Belgium and Great Britain in order to win a medal and that will be an extremely difficult task,” she said.
This year 36 countries entered the event. South Africa is represented by 18 gymnasts.
Matome Tshishonga and Natalie Friesling, South Africa’s only senior gymnasts, earlier in the week finished in the 11th place in the Acro Gymnastics World Championships.