- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
Herman hangs in
- Updated: April 16, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
He’s already nailed down an Olympic A qualifying time, now Heerden Herman faces a few days wait at poolside while he contemplates putting on another similar performance.
The SA swimming nationals got underway in Durban on Monday and Herman is among a handful of SA swimmers who have already met the qualifying standards for selection.
In order to make sure of their place on Team South Africa for the Games in London later this year they also need to swim a qualifying time at the championships that end on Sunday.
Herman swum his qualifying time at the international meeting in the same pool earlier this year, clocking a 15min 06.11 for the 1500-metre freestyle.
“My preparation for nationals has been going great,” Herman told Road to London 2012.┬á “I have done everything that I possibly could, and now it is just about putting it all together on the day.
“For the most part the physical side of the preparation is done now, and now the mental side will determine my performance.┬áI have a good amount of confidence going into the meet, and I am pretty sure that I will do the time again.”
To this effect, Herman has been putting in the training hours in his home base of Stellenbosch.
“My biggest day in the past couple of weeks was two sessions with a total distance of just over 16km.┬áI gradually started coming down with the training since last week, but my taper only truly started this week because the 1500 is only at the end of the week, so I will still be in taper mode next week up until the race.
“I’m not sure how things will look after nationals ÔÇô it all obviously depends on me making the team.┬á I will then fall in with the national team’s schedule as they head to Europe at the beginning of June for some racing and training camps.”