- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
Oscar into semi-finals
- Updated: April 13, 2012
Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius qualified for the semi-finals of the men’s 400-metre at Friday’s first day of the Yellow Pages SA track and field championships in Port Elizabeth.
Pistorius, who has already run an international qualifying time in Italy, clocked 48.24 seconds in blustery conditions.
That saw the double leg-amputee ending second in his heat. The winner was Athletics Gauteng North team-mate Ranti Dektate in 48.06.
Pistorius nearly three seconds off the qualifying time for the London Games (45.30sec) after battling into a strong headwind in the home straight at the NMMU Stadium.
Pistorius said: “We thought we’d have the wind as an assistance into the home straight but it started working against us. I’m feeling confident, I think it’s going to be a good workout.”