- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
Oscar into semi-finals
- Updated: April 13, 2012
Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius qualified for the semi-finals of the men’s 400-metre at Friday’s first day of the Yellow Pages SA track and field championships in Port Elizabeth.
Pistorius, who has already run an international qualifying time in Italy, clocked 48.24 seconds in blustery conditions.
That saw the double leg-amputee ending second in his heat. The winner was Athletics Gauteng North team-mate Ranti Dektate in 48.06.
Pistorius nearly three seconds off the qualifying time for the London Games (45.30sec) after battling into a strong headwind in the home straight at the NMMU Stadium.
Pistorius said: “We thought we’d have the wind as an assistance into the home straight but it started working against us. I’m feeling confident, I think it’s going to be a good workout.”