- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
Oscar into semi-finals
- Updated: April 13, 2012
Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius qualified for the semi-finals of the men’s 400-metre at Friday’s first day of the Yellow Pages SA track and field championships in Port Elizabeth.
Pistorius, who has already run an international qualifying time in Italy, clocked 48.24 seconds in blustery conditions.
That saw the double leg-amputee ending second in his heat. The winner was Athletics Gauteng North team-mate Ranti Dektate in 48.06.
Pistorius nearly three seconds off the qualifying time for the London Games (45.30sec) after battling into a strong headwind in the home straight at the NMMU Stadium.
Pistorius said: “We thought we’d have the wind as an assistance into the home straight but it started working against us. I’m feeling confident, I think it’s going to be a good workout.”