- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Mokoka wins SA 10,000m
- Updated: April 13, 2012
Stephen Mokoka won the first title on offer at the Yellow Pages national senior track and field championships in Port Elizabeth on Friday as he romped to victory in the men’s 10,000 metre final.
The Athletics Gauteng North athlete clocked 27min 40.73sec which is an A standard qualifying time for the London Olympics later this year. The A standard mark is 27:45.00
That’s on top of him qualifying for the Games over the standard marathon time as well.
Runner-up in Friday’s 10,000m was his teammate Gladwin Mzazi who ran 28:20.18 while Central Gauteng’s Xolisa Tyali took the final podium place with a 28:29.20 clocking.
The national record in the 10,000m belongs to Hendrik Ramaala with a 27:29.94 run on the same track 13 years ago. Ramaala has run a qualifying time for the marathon this year.