- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
Another win for Rene
- Updated: April 13, 2012
Rene Kalmer raced to her umpteenth national track title on Friday when she won the women’s 5000-metre event at the Yellow Pages track and field championships, in Port Elizabeth, writes Mark Etheridge.
Kalmer, 31, dipped under the 16min barrier to clock 15min 55.05sec and beat friend and training partner Irvette van Blerk into the runners-up spot. Van Blerk was timed at 16:25.89.
Third was Mpho Mabuza in 16:45.40.
Central Gauteng teammates Kalmer and Van Blerk travel to Cape Town next where they’ll line up for the Spar Women’s 10 kilometre road race on Sunday.
Kalmer’s younger sister, Christine, placed sixth in 17:18.30 on Friday.
In the men’s javelin final, Malmesbury’s Robert Oosthuizen edged out Jason Henning into second spot to nail a 20 centimetre winning margin.
Oosthuizen, who has been battling with a shoulder injury for some time now, pegged the spear 76.32m with his fifth throw.
Henning sealed silver with his final effort of 76:12. Bronze went to Henning’s┬á North West team-mate Hardus Pienaar who had a best of 72.04 on the day.