- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
Herman wins in Portugal
- Updated: April 1, 2012
Team Bonitas, one of South Africa’s top professional men’s road cycling teams, continued to achieve success on its European campaign when its riders dominated the opening stage of the Volta as Terras de Santa Maria on Saturday.
Bonitas sprinter, Herman Fouche, snapped up victory from a large bunch sprint at the end of the 141 kilometre stage. That gave him the leader’s Yellow Jersey as well as the lead in the Points Competition.
During the stage, Bonitas climber, Darren Lill, was one of two riders in a second-half┬á breakaway and in the process, claimed the lead in the King of the Mountains competition by winning the second and third King of the Mountains primes.
Another Bonitas rider, Jason Bakke, was involved in the first major breakaway of the race and claimed the maximum points on offer at the first King of the Mountains prime.
On Sunday, the riders face the final two stages of the event ÔÇô a 16km team time trial in the morning and a 65km circuit race in the afternoon.
This is the Bonitas squad’s second race of their European sojourn having raced another event in Portugal last month.