- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Herman wins in Portugal
- Updated: April 1, 2012
Team Bonitas, one of South Africa’s top professional men’s road cycling teams, continued to achieve success on its European campaign when its riders dominated the opening stage of the Volta as Terras de Santa Maria on Saturday.
Bonitas sprinter, Herman Fouche, snapped up victory from a large bunch sprint at the end of the 141 kilometre stage. That gave him the leader’s Yellow Jersey as well as the lead in the Points Competition.
During the stage, Bonitas climber, Darren Lill, was one of two riders in a second-half┬á breakaway and in the process, claimed the lead in the King of the Mountains competition by winning the second and third King of the Mountains primes.
Another Bonitas rider, Jason Bakke, was involved in the first major breakaway of the race and claimed the maximum points on offer at the first King of the Mountains prime.
On Sunday, the riders face the final two stages of the event ÔÇô a 16km team time trial in the morning and a 65km circuit race in the afternoon.
This is the Bonitas squad’s second race of their European sojourn having raced another event in Portugal last month.