- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Kenyans take titles
- Updated: March 18, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Clement Langat and Joyce Chepkirui led a Kenyan clean sweep of the senior titles at the African Cross-Country Championships in Cape Town on Sunday.
Langat, 20, clocked 35min 43sec for the 12-kilometre course at the WPCC fields in Rondebosch, beating Eritrea’s Teklemariam Medhin by seven seconds.
First South African was Lungisa Mdadelwa in 12th spot, 1min 46sec adrift.
Kenya and Ethiopia both had three representatives in the top 10 finishers.
Twenty-three-year-old Chepkirui was timed at 27:04 for the senior women’s 8km. She led three other Kenyans across the finish line and they in turn were followed by four Ethiopians and the top 10 was rounded off by a lone Ugandan.
Best South African woman was Mpho Mabuza in 17th spot, 2:29 off the pace.
Updated report with quotes to follow…