- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
President’s Voice ÔÇô Gideon Sam
- Updated: March 15, 2012
This week has been dominated by the inquiry into Cricket South Africa and by the end of Wednesday, the acting president, Mr AK Khan, had resigned.
We at SASCOC are keeping a very close eye on all these developments and will issue a statement to all our members at the appropriate time. For now though we will ask our members to take note of some of the issues being raised by the commission report ÔÇô┬áthe issues on governance and the responsibility of board members are especially worth noting.
As far as soccer developments go, we also met with Safa and the Sports Ministry following a request by the Sports Minister, Mr FIkile Mbalula, to have such a meeting. The meeting sought to clarify various issues that the Minister wanted clarification on.
These are matters that had been raised in the media about Safa and the way they go about conducting their affairs. The Minister was satisfied with what Safa presented and although there are still some sections of the media that still want Safa to explain more, the meeting felt that Safa must continue to deliver on their mandate, one of them being to make Bafana Bafana a winning team again.
We also continue our discussions around the issue of a sporting academy system for South Africa. The provincial sport structures will soon gather at Olympic House to consider views from various stakeholders. I’m confined that these ongoing discussions will culminate in a blueprint for academies in the country.
I’m sure I also don’t need to remind you that in the background we are working as hard as ever as the Olympics and Paralympics get closer by the day. It’s very exciting to see the team taking shape now as more and more codes provide qualifiers.