- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Philippa’s Belgian win
- Updated: March 14, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Beijing Paralympian double gold medallist Philippa Johnson and her horse Verdi posted their first victory on the Belgian national circuit at the weekend.
The combination, still relatively untested at the highest level, were competing at the CDN Moerzeke equestrian competition.
“There were 12 horses in the Prix St George,” an excited Johnson told Road to London 2012. “I’m very happy to say we won with 66.64%!
“And to be honest it didn’t feel as good as the last time out, this felt a little more out of control but Chris [Haazen], my trainer, likes it that way,” said Johnson.
“He says that Verdi looks 10 centimetres bigger and has just that much more presence. What I was most pleased about was there were no big mistakes, there were definitely things that need improvement but no big mistakes.
“So yippee, this is our first win on the national circuit, hopefully the first of many.”