- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
Philippa’s Belgian win
- Updated: March 14, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Beijing Paralympian double gold medallist Philippa Johnson and her horse Verdi posted their first victory on the Belgian national circuit at the weekend.
The combination, still relatively untested at the highest level, were competing at the CDN Moerzeke equestrian competition.
“There were 12 horses in the Prix St George,” an excited Johnson told Road to London 2012. “I’m very happy to say we won with 66.64%!
“And to be honest it didn’t feel as good as the last time out, this felt a little more out of control but Chris [Haazen], my trainer, likes it that way,” said Johnson.
“He says that Verdi looks 10 centimetres bigger and has just that much more presence. What I was most pleased about was there were no big mistakes, there were definitely things that need improvement but no big mistakes.
“So yippee, this is our first win on the national circuit, hopefully the first of many.”