- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
Gold for SA in Ethiopia
- Updated: March 7, 2012
Our men’s and women’s badminton teams both won gold medals in their respective divisions at the recent continental preliminary competitions for the Thomas and Uber Cups.
The competition was hosted in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and the finals will be held in China in May.
In the finals both our men’s and women’s teams beat Nigeria 3-1, the men loosing in the third tie of the singles and the women losing in the tie of the singles.
Two years ago our women qualified but the men lost to Nigeria in the finals.
The continental qualifiers were played back to back with the All Africa individual championships.
Michelle Edwards, Dorian James and Jacob Maliekal all posted a 100% winning record at both the team event and individual championships.
Results from the All Africa Individual Championships
Women’s Singles – Stacey Doubell (bronze medal)
Mens Singles – Jacob Maliekal (gold)
Women’s Doubles – Michelle Edwards & Annari Viljoen (gold), Stacey Doubell & Michelle Butler-Emmett (bronze)
Mens Doubles – Dorian James & Wiaan Viljoen (gold), Enrico James & Chris Dednam (bronze)
Mixed Doubles – Dorian James & Michelle Edwards (gold), Enrico James & Stacey Doubell (silver)