- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Gold for SA in Ethiopia
- Updated: March 7, 2012
Our men’s and women’s badminton teams both won gold medals in their respective divisions at the recent continental preliminary competitions for the Thomas and Uber Cups.
The competition was hosted in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and the finals will be held in China in May.
In the finals both our men’s and women’s teams beat Nigeria 3-1, the men loosing in the third tie of the singles and the women losing in the tie of the singles.
Two years ago our women qualified but the men lost to Nigeria in the finals.
The continental qualifiers were played back to back with the All Africa individual championships.
Michelle Edwards, Dorian James and Jacob Maliekal all posted a 100% winning record at both the team event and individual championships.
Results from the All Africa Individual Championships
Women’s Singles – Stacey Doubell (bronze medal)
Mens Singles – Jacob Maliekal (gold)
Women’s Doubles – Michelle Edwards & Annari Viljoen (gold), Stacey Doubell & Michelle Butler-Emmett (bronze)
Mens Doubles – Dorian James & Wiaan Viljoen (gold), Enrico James & Chris Dednam (bronze)
Mixed Doubles – Dorian James & Michelle Edwards (gold), Enrico James & Stacey Doubell (silver)