- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Gold for SA in Ethiopia
- Updated: March 7, 2012
Our men’s and women’s badminton teams both won gold medals in their respective divisions at the recent continental preliminary competitions for the Thomas and Uber Cups.
The competition was hosted in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and the finals will be held in China in May.
In the finals both our men’s and women’s teams beat Nigeria 3-1, the men loosing in the third tie of the singles and the women losing in the tie of the singles.
Two years ago our women qualified but the men lost to Nigeria in the finals.
The continental qualifiers were played back to back with the All Africa individual championships.
Michelle Edwards, Dorian James and Jacob Maliekal all posted a 100% winning record at both the team event and individual championships.
Results from the All Africa Individual Championships
Women’s Singles – Stacey Doubell (bronze medal)
Mens Singles – Jacob Maliekal (gold)
Women’s Doubles – Michelle Edwards & Annari Viljoen (gold), Stacey Doubell & Michelle Butler-Emmett (bronze)
Mens Doubles – Dorian James & Wiaan Viljoen (gold), Enrico James & Chris Dednam (bronze)
Mixed Doubles – Dorian James & Michelle Edwards (gold), Enrico James & Stacey Doubell (silver)