- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Gold for SA in Ethiopia
- Updated: March 7, 2012
Our men’s and women’s badminton teams both won gold medals in their respective divisions at the recent continental preliminary competitions for the Thomas and Uber Cups.
The competition was hosted in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and the finals will be held in China in May.
In the finals both our men’s and women’s teams beat Nigeria 3-1, the men loosing in the third tie of the singles and the women losing in the tie of the singles.
Two years ago our women qualified but the men lost to Nigeria in the finals.
The continental qualifiers were played back to back with the All Africa individual championships.
Michelle Edwards, Dorian James and Jacob Maliekal all posted a 100% winning record at both the team event and individual championships.
Results from the All Africa Individual Championships
Women’s Singles – Stacey Doubell (bronze medal)
Mens Singles – Jacob Maliekal (gold)
Women’s Doubles – Michelle Edwards & Annari Viljoen (gold), Stacey Doubell & Michelle Butler-Emmett (bronze)
Mens Doubles – Dorian James & Wiaan Viljoen (gold), Enrico James & Chris Dednam (bronze)
Mixed Doubles – Dorian James & Michelle Edwards (gold), Enrico James & Stacey Doubell (silver)