- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
African champs for SA
- Updated: March 7, 2012
South Africa will host the Confederation of African Athletics (CAA) African Cross Country Championships for the second year in a row.
The Championships will again take place at the Western Province Cricket Club (WPCC) venue in Rondebosch and top runners from across the African continent are expected to compete in this prestigious event on Sunday, 18 March.
Each event run will be run over a two-kilometre course that will start on the Rondebosch Boys High School field, include a loop through Keurboom Park, and finish in front of WPCC.┬á Senior men and women will compete over distances of 12km and 8km respectively, while junior men and women will run 8km and 6km respectively.┬áEach country can have up to six athletes per category representing them, making a maximum total participation of 24 per country.
A total of 18 countries will be taking part in the event, including top athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia, Congo, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and, of course, South Africa,.
Says Jakes Jacobs, chairman of Western Province Athletics:┬áÔÇ£The province is thrilled to have again been appointed to host this auspicious international event right here in Rondebosch.ÔÇØ
He added that the 2km loop route has been especially designed to fit in with international standards and it gives the spectators the chance to see some of the world’s top athletes in action up close.┬á It also allows them to interact with the athletes and experience a world-class event first hand.
A 4km fun run has also been added to the programme and is open to runners who want to experience the event from a runners’ perspective.┬á Runners will need to pre-enter this fun run event and can call the WPA office on 021-699 0615 to secure their entry.┬á No entries will be taken on the day of the event.
ASA announced that the teams from the various countries, including South Africa, are still being finalised and will be announced shortly.