- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Dennis ends ninth
- Updated: March 5, 2012
South African outfit MTN-Qhubeka ended as third team in the Tour of Langkawi cycle race that ended in Malaysia on Sunday.
The team, made up of three Eritreans, two South Africans and a Rwandan, ended 13min 36sec behind winning team Androni Giocattoli who had a combined time of 98min 50min 34sec.
Astana Pro were second (12:03 in arrears) and MTN-Qhubeka ended just one second ahead of Champion System.
Best finisher for the Johannesburg based side was Dennis van Niekerk in ninth spot overall on the General Classification (GC) standings. He ended 4:33 behind tour winner Jose Serpa, the Colombian rider in the saddle for a total of 32:55:31.
Next best was Eritrea’s Jani Tewelde in 16th spot (+6:13) while Jacques Janse van Rensburg ended 20th (07:00).
Sunday’s 10th and final stage was a 110.7 kilometre ride in Kuala Terengganu, won by Andrea Guardini of the Farnese Vini-Selle Italia in 2:36:42.
Tewelde’s 17th spot was MTN’s best achievement on the day.