- Championship Records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Dennis ends ninth
- Updated: March 5, 2012
South African outfit MTN-Qhubeka ended as third team in the Tour of Langkawi cycle race that ended in Malaysia on Sunday.
The team, made up of three Eritreans, two South Africans and a Rwandan, ended 13min 36sec behind winning team Androni Giocattoli who had a combined time of 98min 50min 34sec.
Astana Pro were second (12:03 in arrears) and MTN-Qhubeka ended just one second ahead of Champion System.
Best finisher for the Johannesburg based side was Dennis van Niekerk in ninth spot overall on the General Classification (GC) standings. He ended 4:33 behind tour winner Jose Serpa, the Colombian rider in the saddle for a total of 32:55:31.
Next best was Eritrea’s Jani Tewelde in 16th spot (+6:13) while Jacques Janse van Rensburg ended 20th (07:00).
Sunday’s 10th and final stage was a 110.7 kilometre ride in Kuala Terengganu, won by Andrea Guardini of the Farnese Vini-Selle Italia in 2:36:42.
Tewelde’s 17th spot was MTN’s best achievement on the day.