- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
SA Indoor team
- Updated: March 1, 2012
Team South Africa will be represented by four athletes at the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey next month.
The team will be made up of two track and two field athletes at the eighth staging of the championships from 9-11 March.
Elroy Gelant runs the 3000 metres and Lehan Fourie tackles the 60m hurdles in the track events while Olympic silver medallist Khotso Mokoena competes in the long jump and Burger Lamprechts does his stuff in the shot put.
Lamprechts was the last of our athletes to qualify, when he heaved the shot 20.12 metres at the first Yellow Pages Interprovincial in Germiston last weekend. He’ll be competing again at this weekend’s interprovincial meeting in Bellville.
Gelant qualified last year already, when ran a personal best of 7min 41.59sec in Metz, France in June.
Fourie has already qualified on three occasions, with times of 7.74, 7.64 (a personal best) and 7.65sec, all at international meetings.
And Mokoena bettered the qualifying standard of 8.15m on no less than five occasions during 2011. The qualifying period was all of last year and up until 27 February, this year.