- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Philippa on track
- Updated: February 28, 2012
Beiiing Paralympics double gold medallist Phillipa Johnson’s build-up to this year’s Paralympics in London continues to gather pace, writes Mark Etheridge.
Riding Verdi, the Belgium based South African equestrian ace competed in her first national competition of the year, the CDN Hasselt event.
“We competed in the Prix St George,” Johnson told Road to London 2012. “It was a nice sized class of 15 horses and I was actually very pleased with yesterday’s performance.
“It’s the first time that ‘I’ actually rode the test, not Verdi pulling me round with little control! When I got back at the beginning of the year Jeannette, my trainer Chris’s wife, made a small change to my way of riding Verdi and it seems to be paying off.
“There were still stupid mistakes but they were purely rider error and cost us points. We finished seventh with 63,61% ,so not the score we are looking for but we are heading in the right direction.”