- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
Cyclists hold their own
- Updated: February 25, 2012
Johannesburg based cycle team MTN Qhubeka have three riders in the top 30 placings after the second stage of the Tour of Langkawi in Malaysia on Saturday.
The squad consists of South African, Eritrean and Rwandan riders.
Saturday’s stage was 151 kilometres between Purajaya and Melaka and Eritrean rider Jani Tewelda flew the flag for the South African outfit.
He finished sixth overall, with the same time as Italian winner Andrea Guardini, the Fanrese Vini rider clocking 3hr 35min 19sec.
South Africans Jacques Janse van Rensburg and Dennis van Niekerk finished 31st and 34th respectively.
In the GC (General Classification) leading MTN-Qhubeka riders is Eritrean Meron Russom in 22nd, followed by Janse van Rensburg (23rd) and another Eritrea rider, Tewelde in 28th spot.
Russom is 2:23 behind overall leader David Zabriski of the Garmin-Barracuda team.
The MTN-Qhubeka team currently lie eighth in the team classification, 4:20 behind Garmin Barracuda.