- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Penny strikes for SA
- Updated: February 21, 2012
A second-half goal by Lauren Penny saw South Africa stay unbeaten in their all-important Olympic qualifier hockey tournament in New Delhi, India on Tuesday.
Our Investec Protea side drew 1-1 with Italy in their third match of the tournament, an event that they have to win if they are to be part of the South African team for London later this year.
Italy had opened the scoring through an Alessia Padalino penalty corner in the fourth minute, this after she had netted a hat-trick of goals against Poland at the weekend.
England-based Penny then equalised in the 40th minute of the match with a field goal.
South Africa left out world leading goalscorer Pietie Coetzee for this match. The Proteas next play arch-rivals India on Wednesday and their final pool match is against Canada on Friday.
Full report to follow