- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Penny strikes for SA
- Updated: February 21, 2012
A second-half goal by Lauren Penny saw South Africa stay unbeaten in their all-important Olympic qualifier hockey tournament in New Delhi, India on Tuesday.
Our Investec Protea side drew 1-1 with Italy in their third match of the tournament, an event that they have to win if they are to be part of the South African team for London later this year.
Italy had opened the scoring through an Alessia Padalino penalty corner in the fourth minute, this after she had netted a hat-trick of goals against Poland at the weekend.
England-based Penny then equalised in the 40th minute of the match with a field goal.
South Africa left out world leading goalscorer Pietie Coetzee for this match. The Proteas next play arch-rivals India on Wednesday and their final pool match is against Canada on Friday.
Full report to follow