- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Hockey girls off to India
- Updated: February 14, 2012
Our Investec South Africa women’s hockey team jet off to Delhi, India Wednesday morning with one goal in mind… to win the week-long Olympic Qualifier Tournament that starts on Saturday.
Should they win the tournament they’ll book a place at the London 2012 Olympic Games that take place in July and August.
The six teams initially play in a round-robin or league, with the top two facing off in the final next Saturday
First up, SA tackle Poland on Saturday at 10am (6.30 am SA time) before meeting Ukraine at 2pm (10.30am SA time) on Sunday.
Monday is a rest day before captain Marsha Marescia’s girls face Italy at midday (8.30am SA time) on Tuesday. The following league, or round-robin, game is against Investec South Africa’s biggest rivals, India, and that key match starts at 6pm (2.30pm SA time) next Wednesday.
After Thursday’s rest day, SA conclude the league phase next Friday when they meet Canada at 2pm (10.30am SA time).
The top two countries will then face each other in next Saturday’s┬á 6pm (2.30pm SA time) final.
The message is clear, nothing less than gold will do in Delhi.
INVESTEC SA TEAM
Mariette Rix, Kate Woods, Shelley Russell, Jade Mayne, Lauren Penny, Kathleen Taylor, Tarryn Bright (all WP); Marsha Marescia (capt), Lisa Deetlefs, Bernadette Coston, Pietie Coetzee (all Southern Gauteng); Sanani Mangisa, Dirkie Chamberlain, Nicolene Terblanche, Kim Hubach (all Northern Blues), Lesle-Ann George (Free State); Lenise Marais (KZN Coastal Raiders); Sulette Damons (North West).