- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
Johnson’s nippy win
- Updated: February 7, 2012
Paralympian equestrian ace Phillipa Johnson braved freezing Belgian conditions to place first in a regional dressage competition this wee, writes Mark Etheridge.
It was the Johnson and equestrian companion Verdi’s first competition of the year and got the combination off to a good start.
“It was a regional competition (able-bodied) and being winter competition the regional competitions don’t count for points so we used it as a practice competition just to get down the centre line again,” Johnson told Road to London 2012. “We have had a freezing week, so have had to truck the horses to a different venue to train as we only have outdoor arenas. It has been very difficult and cold with Saturday starting training at -16┬░Celcius!
But the cold wasn’t the only obstacle the two had to overcome. “To make matters worse our riding time was 20:56 ÔÇô┬áI’m used to arriving home from competitions in the dark but it is very strange to leave for a competition in ┬áthe dark! When Verdi entered the arena he took an immediate disliking to the judges and wouldn’t go anywhere near them. We got over that with a few magic words and were able to start our test.
“Unfortunately with the tension there were a lot of mistakes but also one or two good points. We won the Prix St George with 61,45% out of four horses, not a fantastic result but what made it very special was we were tied first with another South African rider, Andr├® La Cont├® who had his first competition in 15 months!! What can I say ÔÇô South African’s rock!”