- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Kevin’s up, Chani’s down
- Updated: January 30, 2012
Despite going down in the third round of the Australian Open recently, Kevin Anderson moved up the ATP rankings announced on Monday.
Anderson, our top ranked singles tennis player, lost to Thomas Berdych in the third round of the year’s first grand slam but his first and second round victories saw him slot in at a career-high No30 on the rankings, two up from his previous ranking of 32nd.
Izak van der Merwe has slipped four spots to 118th and Rik de Voest, also in action at the Australian Open moves up seven spots to be just one behind Van der Merwe.
Meanwhile, our top-ranked women’s player has dropped seven spots on the WTA Tour rankings. Chani Scheepers lost her first round match at the Aussie Open to Svetlna Kuznetsova and finds herself at No44 on the rankings.
Next best is Chanel Simmonds, who has slipped two pegs to 187th while our third best singles player is Natasha Fourouclas, a long way off the pace in 576th spot.