- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
World coup for PMB
- Updated: January 28, 2012
Cycling South Africa has clinched another coup by winning the rights to stage the 2013 mountainbike Masters World Championships in Pietermaritzburg, a week before the 2013 MTB World Championships at the same venue.
The announcement was made at the International Cycling Federation (UCI) management committee meeting on Friday, confirming that the masters event will be bolted onto the World Championships at the Cascades MTB Park next year.
The awarding of the Masters Worlds to South Africa is significant at a number of levels. The Masters Worlds has for the last five years been held in Brazil, and in 2013 it will for the first time be a precursor to the Elite World Championships.
“It will be a fantastic opportunity for local MTB riders over 30 years of age to ride in the Masters World Champs,” said event director Alec Lenferna.
“More than that it is a major vote of confidence in Cycling SA and Pietermaritzburg as a premier cycling destination,” he added. “Hosting events like the BMX Worlds, the MTB World Cup and the UCI World Cycling Tour finals really puts Cycling SA on the global map.”
Pietermaritzburg has successfully hosted the BMX World Championships and Supercross, the MTB World Cup, the Msunduzi Road Challenge leg of the UCI World Cycling Tour, and will this year host the MTB World Cup and the final of the UCI World Cycling Tour, and is eagerly looking forward to hosting the MTB World Championships in 2013.
“Pietermaritzburg’s vision is to become a globally recognised centre of excellence for cycling, and a hospitable and top class host of world class events,” added Lenferna.
The RockyRoads UCI MTB World Cup Pietermaritzburg takes place at the Cascades MTB Park from 16 to 18 March 2012.