- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
Basetsana set up camp
- Updated: January 25, 2012
Just like their senior Banyana Banyana counterparts, the South African Under-20 women’s soccer team (Basetsana) are in camp.
Banyana are preparing for the upcoming Cyprus Cup while the youngsters are preparing for the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup qualifiers.ÔÇ¿ÔÇ¿The tournament is set to take place from 18 August to 9 September 2012 at a venue still to be confirmed by the sport’s governing body (Fifa).
Basetsana will prepare for the upcoming qualifier at the Edenvale Sports grounds until Sunday under the mentorship of head coach Sheryl Botes. She has put in place extensive preparation to ensure that the side is adequately prepared.
ÔÇ£This camp will be used mainly to improve the players’ physical state. It is of utmost importance that we find the right combinations and bring the players together as a team since the squad has been inactive for two years. This camp will also be used to assist the team leading to the World Cup qualifiers next month.ÔÇØ said Botes.
South Africa will travel to Botswana for the first leg of the opening round of the World Cup qualifiers set for 18-19 February. The return leg will be played two weeks later on the weekend of 3-4 March in South Africa.
Leading up to the qualifiers, Basetsana have had a series of scientific tests conducted, including the Cybex test that is used to gauge the players’ fitness levels and identify deficiencies in individual players so as to assist them in physically conditioning their bodies.
The Basetsana squad is made up of:
Goalkeepers: Kaylin Swart, Yolula Tsawe, Andile Dlamini, Nkosingipile Zungu; Defenders: Vuyo Mkabela, Lebogan Mabatla, Meagan Newman, Vanessa Hattingh, Regina Mogolol, Normonde Tsheke, Patience Hlongwane; Midfielders: Jabulile Mazibuko, Rachel Sebati, Maria Mokgadinyane, Robyn Moodley, Christilene Jantjies, Tshegofatse Makinta, Nogwanya Shiwe, Kelo Peskin; Strikers: Kolisi Nwabisa, Elizabeth Mashilo, Caitlin Fryer, Jermaine Seoposenwe, Yolanda Ngqongwa, Palesa Mohalbi