- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
SA men lose thriller
- Updated: January 21, 2012
Our men’s hockey team were edged out by the odd goal in seven as India won the fourth Test 4-3 in Delhi on Friday to clinch the five-match series 3-1 with just Sunday’s Test match still to play.
The eight-time Olympic gold medallists trailed 1-0 at half-time thanks to a strike by Justin Reid-Ross of Northern Blues in the 14th minute. But India came hard at SA after the changeover and scored a remarkable four goals inside 13 minutes to clinch victory.
Western Province’s Ian Haley contributed to the goalmouth mayhem; his 54th minute strike making it an incredible five goals in 13 minutes.
KZN Coastal Raiders captain Lloyd Madsen, the eighth of nine members of the Madsen family to play hockey for South Africa, scored the men in green and gold’s third goal six minutes from the end.
Meanwhile, the Investec South Africa women’s hockey team will be looking to take a 2-1 lead in the five-Test Investec International Series when they tackle Spain at the Randburg Astro on Saturday.ÔÇ¿ÔÇ¿The first Test was drawn 1-1; the second went to Spain 3-2 with South Africa winning the third Test 3-1 on Thursday night. The fifth and final Test is at 2pm at Randburg on Sunday.
Scorers (India v SA)
India 4 (Yuvraj Walmiki 44, 53, V.R. Raghunath 50, S.K. Uthappa 56) South Africa 3 (Justin Reid-Ross 14, Ian Haley 54, Lloyd Madsen 64)