- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
Sive in Austrian action
- Updated: January 15, 2012
Sive Speelman, our sole representative at the inaugural Winter Youth Olympics in Austria, ended 41st in his first competition on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The Eastern Cape teenager was taking part in the Super G event and clocked 1min 18.31sec.
That put him 41st of 55 competitors at the Innsbruck event.
Speelman’s next event is scheduled to be the Super Combined event on Sunday.
Speelman is our only athlete taking part at this event. At the last Winter Olympics in Canada in 2010, Team South Africa was made up of three atletes.
Speelman is coached by veteran South African Winter Olympian Alexander Heath.