Rik makes main draw | SASCOC - SASCOC

Rik makes main draw

Lady luck smiled on Rik de Voest in Melbourne on Sunday, writes Mark Etheridge.

De Voest, 31, played the qualifyng rounds of the Australian Open last week. He won his first two rounds but went down in the final match.

Luckily because of his high seeding (11th) and the fact that he had won his first two matches, De Voest ended up being draw as the first lucky loser.

“So luck ended up being on my side and a player had to withdraw with an injury and so I get in to the main draw and have a second chance,” De Voest told Road to London 2012 on Sunday.

“The player that pulled out was Florian Mayer of Germany, and so I take his spot and play Yen-Hsun Lu from Taipei which is tomorrow’s fourth match. Now to make use of the second opportunity,” said De Voest.

Twenty-eight-year-old Lu is ranked 79th on the ATP Tour rankings.

Meyer pulled out of the main draw with a hip strain.