- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Russian date for Chani
- Updated: January 13, 2012
Our top-ranked women’s singles player, Chani Scheepers will be up against it from the start at the Australian Open next week, writes Mark Etheridge.
The year’s first Grand Slam starts in Melbourne on Monday and Scheepers comes up against Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova in round one.
Kuznetsova, once ranked as high as second on the WTA Tour rankings, currently sits at No19 in the world rankings. The 26-year-old will be playing her 11th Australian Open and is two-time quarter-finalist as well as a doubles champion (back in 205).
She’s the 18th seed in Melbourne and takes on Scheepers, who is playing only her third Australian Open but reached the third round last year. The two have yet to face each other on the WTA Tour.
Meanwhile, our top-ranked men’s player, Kevin Anderson, has been seeded 30th in the draw and faces a yet to be named qualifier in the first round.