- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Russian date for Chani
- Updated: January 13, 2012
Our top-ranked women’s singles player, Chani Scheepers will be up against it from the start at the Australian Open next week, writes Mark Etheridge.
The year’s first Grand Slam starts in Melbourne on Monday and Scheepers comes up against Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova in round one.
Kuznetsova, once ranked as high as second on the WTA Tour rankings, currently sits at No19 in the world rankings. The 26-year-old will be playing her 11th Australian Open and is two-time quarter-finalist as well as a doubles champion (back in 205).
She’s the 18th seed in Melbourne and takes on Scheepers, who is playing only her third Australian Open but reached the third round last year. The two have yet to face each other on the WTA Tour.
Meanwhile, our top-ranked men’s player, Kevin Anderson, has been seeded 30th in the draw and faces a yet to be named qualifier in the first round.