- Dusi seedings up for grabs at Umpetha Challenge
- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
Russian date for Chani
- Updated: January 13, 2012
Our top-ranked women’s singles player, Chani Scheepers will be up against it from the start at the Australian Open next week, writes Mark Etheridge.
The year’s first Grand Slam starts in Melbourne on Monday and Scheepers comes up against Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova in round one.
Kuznetsova, once ranked as high as second on the WTA Tour rankings, currently sits at No19 in the world rankings. The 26-year-old will be playing her 11th Australian Open and is two-time quarter-finalist as well as a doubles champion (back in 205).
She’s the 18th seed in Melbourne and takes on Scheepers, who is playing only her third Australian Open but reached the third round last year. The two have yet to face each other on the WTA Tour.
Meanwhile, our top-ranked men’s player, Kevin Anderson, has been seeded 30th in the draw and faces a yet to be named qualifier in the first round.