- Lamprecht’s great form continues as he leads at Leopard Creek
- Jobodwana, Gelant shine at Speed Series in Durban
- Temple-Jones hard at work keeping Blitzboks in tip-top shape
- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
Another win for Rik
- Updated: January 13, 2012
There was nothing unlucky about Friday the 13th for Rik de Voest as he edged ever closer to qualifying for the main draw of the Australian Open in Melbourne, writes Mark Etheridge.
De Voest had another three-set clash to get through before he set up a third round clash
After beating Maxime Authom of Belgium, also in three sets, earlier this week, De Voest beat Farrukh Dustov to progress to the next qualifying stage.
The 31-year-old needed 2hr 21min of action out on Court Seven before beating the Uzbekistan player, six years his junior, 6-7 6-3 6-1.
Outgunned in the aces department (3-6), he had a solid winning percentage of 71% on his first service and in turn broke Dustov’s service on five occasions. De Voest is currently ranked 125 on the ATP Tour world rankings compared to the 262nd of Dustov.
Seeded 11th for qualifying, De Voest now comes up against Italian 27th seed Matteo Viola in the final stages of qualifying. The 24-year-old is currently ranked 155th in the world.
“It’s a great feeling to be through to the final round of qualifying,” De Voest told Road to London 2012. “I had a tough battle today ÔÇô started well, and was dominating before my opponent relaxed and just swung and started making all his shots. Lost a tight first set 6-7, before finding my range and getting through 6-3, 6-1 in the second and third set. I was happy with the way I remained composed and fought hard even after losing a set that I was dominating.
“I now play Matteo, he came through two tough matches saving match points in both his first and second round qualifying matches.”