- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Duo back for Banyana
- Updated: January 11, 2012
Experienced midfielders Mamello Makhabane and Yola Jafta are back in full training along with their other 21 Banyana Banyana players at the national team training camp in Stellenbosch.
Both Makhabane (43 national appearances) and Jafta (17 national caps) missed out on the end-of-2011 Unity Cup match in Zimbabwe due to injury.
Striker Zanele Sukazi, who plays with Jafta for the University of Johannesburg in the Sasol League (Gauteng), is also back in the national squad.
Sukazi played a key role for Banyana Banyana during the national team’s successful qualification campaign for the 2012 London Olympics.ÔÇ¿ÔÇ¿Banyana Banyana will open their 2012 international campaign when they compete in the twelve-nation Cyprus Women’s Cup tournament from 28 February to 6 March.
The South Africans have been drawn in a group along with South Korea, New Zealand and Northern Ireland.
ÔÇ£Last year, Banyana Banyana won 13 of their 17 matches played including successfully qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics and the All-Africa Games which were held in Mozambique, and special thanks must go to SAFA and our team sponsor Sasol for their support for women’s football,ÔÇØ said Banyana Banyana coach Joseph Mkhonza.
ÔÇ£2012 is Olympic year and the players have been training hard in the warm conditions in Stellenbosch and are putting in extra effort in a bid to be in the travelling party for the Cyprus Women’s Cup tournament.ÔÇØ
The Banyana Banyana players will continue training in Stellenbosch until 29 January.