- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
Jumping duo in Qatar
- Updated: January 5, 2012
Our two riders at the recent Olympic qualifying showjumping event in Qatar failed to secure a spot at next year’s Olympic Games in London, writes Mark Etheridge.
South Africa were represented by two riders, Oliver Lazarus and Neriske Prinsloo. Unfortunately a third rider, Lexi Carter, pulled out shortly before the competition.
Five teams took part in the Middle East event, namely Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Jordan and Egypt. It should have been six but Carter’s withdrawal meant we weren’t eligible for the team competition, only the individual classification.
The team was managed by Bob Neill who said: “We are very grateful for Oliver competing in Qatar despite the horse that he was going to compete on being taken away a week before the trip. As Oliver had made a commitment he competed on a young horse that was new to the level.
“Neriske Prinsloo on her horse Bill Clinton had a wonderful show being placed 10th in the warm-up class to the World Cup Qualifier and seventh in the World Cup Qualifier and then ended up 10th in the Olympic Qualifier.
“Unfortunately we did not qualify a rider for the London Olympics, however good contacts were made within Group F for future International events within the Group.”
Neill concluded by saying: “It was an honour to be included in such a prestigious event among the best horses in the
world such as Presley Boy.”