- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
SA squad for India
- Updated: December 21, 2011
The national men’s hockey side to take part in a five-Test series against India in the New Year was announced on Wednesday.
The series will be staged in New Delhi, India from 15-25 January as part of the qualifying plans for next year’s Olympic Games in London.
The 18-strong squad under the guidance of coach Gregg Clark, will be captained by Western Province’s Austin Smith. Western Province have the most representatives in the team with five players.
Goalkeepers: Rassie Pieterse (Southern Gauteng), Jacques Le Roux (WP). Defenders: Justin Reid-Ross (Northern Blues), Lloyd Madsen (KZN Coastal Raiders), Lance Louw (SG), Rhett Halkett (NB),┬á Ricky West (NB), Clinton Panther (SG). Midfielders: Austin Smith (WP, capt), Jonty Robinson (NB), Taine Paton, Tim Drummond (both KZN), Nic Gonsalves (NB). Strikers: Lloyd Norris-Jones (WP), Julian Hykes (Amatole-Border), Craig Haley, Ian Haley (both WP), Miguel da Graca (SG).
Management ÔÇô coach: Gregg Clark; assistant coach: David Viney; manager: Anton van Rooyen; goalkeeper coach: David Staniforth; video analyst: Mo Malebye; physio: Kate-Lyn Temple-Jones.