- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
SA squad for India
- Updated: December 21, 2011
The national men’s hockey side to take part in a five-Test series against India in the New Year was announced on Wednesday.
The series will be staged in New Delhi, India from 15-25 January as part of the qualifying plans for next year’s Olympic Games in London.
The 18-strong squad under the guidance of coach Gregg Clark, will be captained by Western Province’s Austin Smith. Western Province have the most representatives in the team with five players.
Goalkeepers: Rassie Pieterse (Southern Gauteng), Jacques Le Roux (WP). Defenders: Justin Reid-Ross (Northern Blues), Lloyd Madsen (KZN Coastal Raiders), Lance Louw (SG), Rhett Halkett (NB),┬á Ricky West (NB), Clinton Panther (SG). Midfielders: Austin Smith (WP, capt), Jonty Robinson (NB), Taine Paton, Tim Drummond (both KZN), Nic Gonsalves (NB). Strikers: Lloyd Norris-Jones (WP), Julian Hykes (Amatole-Border), Craig Haley, Ian Haley (both WP), Miguel da Graca (SG).
Management ÔÇô coach: Gregg Clark; assistant coach: David Viney; manager: Anton van Rooyen; goalkeeper coach: David Staniforth; video analyst: Mo Malebye; physio: Kate-Lyn Temple-Jones.