- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
World Cup starts in SA
- Updated: December 19, 2011
Pietermaritzburg will once again play host to the first round of the 2012 Rocky Roads.net UCI MTB World Cup presented by Shimano, opening the global cross-country and downhill series on African soil for the third time on 14-18 March.
The well-loved Cascades mountain biking venue, that hosted both the 2009 and 2011 UCI MTB World Cups, has undergone many transformations and the cross-country course in particular was lauded in 2011 as a challenging course that provided the most fun!
Hordes of spectators and numerous international trade teams are expected to descend on the city once again as cross-country mountain bikers vie for all-important UCI-points early in the Olympic year for this Olympic discipline.
Downhill, and cross-country, competitors alike will be looking to start their year on a high note and with maximum points before embarking on the season, which will span almost 6-months and take them to many countries including Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Italy, Great Britain, Canada, USA, Norway and Austria.
The 2012 event will be organised by Cycling SA and Alec Lenferna will once again serve as the Event Director. The event organisers have been hard at work to secure great offers for athletes who wish to be part of this extraordinary event, and are very pleased to announce that our national carrier South African Airways (SAA) is an official event partner ÔÇô all teams and riders travelling to the event (from whichever departure destination in the world) can benefit from discounted rates and special travel benefits.
Tourism KwaZulu-Natal and the KZN Department of Economic Development and Tourism proudly support the 2012 Rocky Roads.net UCI MTB World Cup Pietermaritzburg presented by Shimano ÔÇô a world-class event that showcases the beautiful and diverse Zulu kingdom.