- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
Nhlapo in SA squad
- Updated: December 13, 2011
Beijing Olympian Sifisio “Skizo” Nhlapo is one of 20 cyclists named in the provisional squad for next year’s UCI BMX World Championships.
Cycling SA recently announced the names of the squad for the 2012 event which will be raced in Birmingham, United Kingdom, in May.
The final team will only be made known following the performances of the riders at our national championships, scheduled for 28-29 April 2012, in KwaZulu-Natal.
Nhlapo is in a race against time to qualify for the London Olympics after neck surgery in 2009 and then further surgery to his knee earlier this year.
The provisional squad is made up of riders in five categories from elite, to the 30-year and older group and on the other end of the scale, the junior division.
KwaZulu-Natal’s Swiss based Teagan O’Keeffe is the only female rider in the elite category, which also includes United States based cyclist Gavin Lubbe.
The full provisional squad is:
30 years and over: Grant Dekker, Chris Nixon, Tyrone Johns
Elite and Junior Elite: Sifisio Nhlapo, Gavin Lubbe, Teagan O’Keeffe, Kyle Dodd, Miguel Carvalho
Senior (23-29 years): Kane Herbert, Godfrey Buziba
16-23 years: Lunga Mkhize, Themba Hlope, Alex Limberg, Sean McDonald
Junior (10-15 years): Connor Terblanche, Dylan Eggar, Kayla Eggar, Lauren Coetzee, Tyrone Verrall, Alex Dolman