- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
SA win 21 medals
- Updated: December 2, 2011
Team South Africa came back from the Africa youth and junior championships in Kampala, Uganda with a total of 21 medals, writes Mark Etheridge.
Of those, nine were gold, six were silver and the balance bronze.
Of the team, three lifters each won three gold medals. Tracey Lee October in the 44kg Youth Girls Division, Denver Israel in the 50kg Youth Boys Division and team captain Katleho Mabuya in the 56kg Junior Men division.
Then there was the main medal grabber overall, Clement Mvubu who won a total of six medals (three silvers and three bronzes in the 77kg Junior Men division). Other medallists were Albert Loubser (three bronze, 62kg, Junior Men) and Thabang Sizathu (three silver, 69kg Junior Men).
Later at the awards ceremony the SA team was awarded the trophies for placing second in the Junior Men and for placing third in the youth boys.
And there was more honour for Team SA when national coach and African Development Director for the Weightlifting Federation of Africa, Aveenash Pandoo received a shield for his excellent work in the development of weightlifting in Africa.
Team manager, referee and SAWF representative to the African Congress, Gardencia du Plooy also received a special award for outstanding work as a woman referee.
The Weightlifting Federation of Africa (WFA) also asked South African Weightlifting Federation (SAWF) to assist the Kenya Weightlifting Federation with┬á preparation in the hosting of the Weightlifting Olympic Qualification event in Nairobi 28 March-4 April, 2012.