- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
SA win 21 medals
- Updated: December 2, 2011
Team South Africa came back from the Africa youth and junior championships in Kampala, Uganda with a total of 21 medals, writes Mark Etheridge.
Of those, nine were gold, six were silver and the balance bronze.
Of the team, three lifters each won three gold medals. Tracey Lee October in the 44kg Youth Girls Division, Denver Israel in the 50kg Youth Boys Division and team captain Katleho Mabuya in the 56kg Junior Men division.
Then there was the main medal grabber overall, Clement Mvubu who won a total of six medals (three silvers and three bronzes in the 77kg Junior Men division). Other medallists were Albert Loubser (three bronze, 62kg, Junior Men) and Thabang Sizathu (three silver, 69kg Junior Men).
Later at the awards ceremony the SA team was awarded the trophies for placing second in the Junior Men and for placing third in the youth boys.
And there was more honour for Team SA when national coach and African Development Director for the Weightlifting Federation of Africa, Aveenash Pandoo received a shield for his excellent work in the development of weightlifting in Africa.
Team manager, referee and SAWF representative to the African Congress, Gardencia du Plooy also received a special award for outstanding work as a woman referee.
The Weightlifting Federation of Africa (WFA) also asked South African Weightlifting Federation (SAWF) to assist the Kenya Weightlifting Federation with┬á preparation in the hosting of the Weightlifting Olympic Qualification event in Nairobi 28 March-4 April, 2012.