- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Khwela lends a hand
- Updated: December 2, 2011
Commonwealth Games silver medallist Jennifer Khwela was in attendance as KZN Gymnastics recently hosted a gymnastics development coaching clinic in rural KwaXimba, Kwa-Zulu Natal, with assistance from the KZN Department Sport & Recreation and the eThekwini Municipality.
Upon completion of a teachers and community coaches workshop an invitation was extended to local primary school children to attend a morning of gymnastics activities which included Artistic Floor Work, Mini -Trampoline , Rhythmic Hoop and Rope Skipping. Despite the heavy rain, 120 enthusiastic kids joined in the fun session and were each rewarded at the end of the morning with a snack pack and a skipping rope.
Included in the 10 coaches facilitating the training was SA Artistic Gymnast Khwela, who despite undergoing recent knee surgery and currently undergoing intensive rehabilitation, was on hand to help the young kids who may well be one of our future stars.
The local community coaches will present many of these activities again at the hub festival, to be presented at the same venue on 3┬á December 2011.
Said Allan Chadwick, SAGF Men’s Artistic Programme Manager and KZN coach: “These coaching clinics, combined with the Lotto allocation of basic equipment to rural districts, should see regular gymnastics sessions being presented in the future.”