- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
Team SA for Holland
- Updated: November 17, 2011
A team of 12 swimmers will do duty for South Africa at┬á the Dutch Open Swimming Championships in Eindhoven, Netherlands from 2-4 December.
The competition is sanctioned by FINA as an event where swimmers can achieve Olympic qualifying times ahead of next year’s London Olympics. The Dutch competition will take place at the Pieter van den Hoogenband Swimming Stadium .
The competition will see the likes of veteran Mandy Loots, Kathryn Meaklim, Vanessa Mohr and Charl Crous take to the water. Loots and Meaklim were both part of Team South Africa at the All Africa Games in Mozambique recently.
The SA team will not only be up against some of the best Dutch swimmers but Olympic star George Bovell (Trinidad and Tobago) as well as a strong British team will also feature in the competition, making for an interesting three days of swimming action.
Vanessa Mohr, who recently received the ‘Personality of the Year’ award at the Telkom Swimming SA Aquatic Awards, has had a phenomenal year and will be looking to make another splash on the international stage.
Fresh from her success at the Commonwealth Youth Games where she claimed gold, silver and a bronze medal, Kelly Gunnell will hit the water in the 50, 100 and 200m breaststroke events, while backstrokers Darren Murray and Charl Crous will be looking for fast times as the team begins their 2012 Olympic preparations.
After their inspiring performances at the All Africa Games in Mozambique, the team will also include Karin Prinsloo, winner of┬á as well as youngster Myles Brown who recently took part in the Mare Nostrum Series.
Hoping to conclude 2011 on a high note will be Leith Shankland, who has participated in the Telkom SA National Aquatic Championships, FINA World Championships and the All Africa Games.
The team will be departing South Africa on 29th November 2011.
Full team list: Myles Brown, Charl Crous, Vanessa Mohr, Karin Prinsloo, Mandy Loots, Bianca Hauzer, Michael Meyer, Darren Murray, Leith Shankland, Jeanie du Toit, Kelly Gunnell, Kathryn Meaklim