- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
Sam named CGF vice-president
- Updated: November 11, 2011
SASCOC president Gideon Sam was elected as one of two Commonwealth Games Federation vice-presidents on Friday.
Sam’s successful nomination, a major coup for the South African sports scene, was announced at the CGF’s Congress held on the Caribbean island of St Kitts and Nevis.
Malaysia’s HRH Prince Tunku Imraan was elected as the new president after Jamaican Michael Fennell had stepped down earlier this year after a 17-year spell.
Imran has served 11 years on the CGF Board as vice-president.
Sam, a veteran South African sports administrator, has been president of South Africa’s Olympic governing body since 2008.
He has previously headed up the national swimming federation as well as the triathlon code.
Sam said from St Kitts and Nevis on Friday: “It is a most humbling experience when countries listen to you when you put forward your candidacy and you speak from the heart to convince them to vote for you.
“I am looking forward to helping the Commonwealth Games movement go from strength to strength and making sure that it is afforded due recognition in the sporting arena.”
The other vice-president’s position will be filled by Canada’s Bruce Robertson.
The Congress is also expected to announce the winner of the host city for the 2018 Commonwealth Games with Hambantoto in Sri Lanka and Gold Coast in Australia the two bidding cities.
SASCOC CEO Tubby Reddy was equally delighted with the election of his President to the CGF Board and felt the decision augured well for the one to be taken later on the bid city host.