- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Tour of SA canned
- Updated: November 8, 2011
The 2012 Tour of South Africa cycle race has been cancelled.
Cycling South Africa (CSA) confirmed this on Tuesday morning with the release of a statement.
“Following the great success of the inaugural 2011 Cell C Tour of South Africa, it is with regret that news was received on Monday concerning the cancellation of the Tour of SA,” read the statement.
“According to Primedia, Cycling South Africa’s commercial partners entrusted with securing the funding for the Tour, various critical milestones have not been achieved ÔÇô the unavailability of sufficient financial funding being one of the most important criteria.
“This is clearly as a direct result of the current economic climate around the globe and the continuing challenge major sporting events face in securing adequate sponsorship. After considering numerous options, the board of the Tour of SA has been left with no option but to cancel the 2012 Tour of SA.
“Staging the National Tour remains a high priority for Cycling South Africa and efforts will continue to make it a reality in the near future.”