- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Tour of SA canned
- Updated: November 8, 2011
The 2012 Tour of South Africa cycle race has been cancelled.
Cycling South Africa (CSA) confirmed this on Tuesday morning with the release of a statement.
“Following the great success of the inaugural 2011 Cell C Tour of South Africa, it is with regret that news was received on Monday concerning the cancellation of the Tour of SA,” read the statement.
“According to Primedia, Cycling South Africa’s commercial partners entrusted with securing the funding for the Tour, various critical milestones have not been achieved ÔÇô the unavailability of sufficient financial funding being one of the most important criteria.
“This is clearly as a direct result of the current economic climate around the globe and the continuing challenge major sporting events face in securing adequate sponsorship. After considering numerous options, the board of the Tour of SA has been left with no option but to cancel the 2012 Tour of SA.
“Staging the National Tour remains a high priority for Cycling South Africa and efforts will continue to make it a reality in the near future.”