- Stings down champs as Jaguars post Brutal record
- Bogey-free Bekker builds four-stroke lead in Lusaka
- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
Tour of SA canned
- Updated: November 8, 2011
The 2012 Tour of South Africa cycle race has been cancelled.
Cycling South Africa (CSA) confirmed this on Tuesday morning with the release of a statement.
“Following the great success of the inaugural 2011 Cell C Tour of South Africa, it is with regret that news was received on Monday concerning the cancellation of the Tour of SA,” read the statement.
“According to Primedia, Cycling South Africa’s commercial partners entrusted with securing the funding for the Tour, various critical milestones have not been achieved ÔÇô the unavailability of sufficient financial funding being one of the most important criteria.
“This is clearly as a direct result of the current economic climate around the globe and the continuing challenge major sporting events face in securing adequate sponsorship. After considering numerous options, the board of the Tour of SA has been left with no option but to cancel the 2012 Tour of SA.
“Staging the National Tour remains a high priority for Cycling South Africa and efforts will continue to make it a reality in the near future.”