- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
Pietie scores, SA lose
- Updated: November 8, 2011
Our women’s hockey side lost out by the odd goal in seven against Germany in Holland on Monday night.
Currently ranked 12th in the world, the Investec South Africa national side were shaded 4-3 by third-ranked Germany in a one-off Test played in Arnhem.
ÔÇ£We could have got a better result against a German squad that was only missing two players,ÔÇØ said SA assistant coach Phil Estourgie. ÔÇ£We were missing more players due to injury or players not being in Holland yet.ÔÇØ
All South Africa’s goals came from field play, Western Province’s Kathleen Taylor, North West’s Sulette Damons and world record goalscorer Pietie Coetzee of Southern Gauteng getting on the score-sheet. It was the superstar’s 226th goal in 228 Test matches.
Although 19 of South Africa top players are plying their trade with clubs in Holland, a number are still at home or injured.
Next up for South Africa are two tough encounters against top-ranked Holland on November 22 and 23 before they move to Argentina for two 4-Nations competitions in December.