- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
Ronel, Ben roll on
- Updated: November 6, 2011
Ronel van Wyk and Ben Cronje of Team ASG Sport Solutions continued their winning streak on Saturday, taking gold in the mixed team category of the Contego Wines2Whales MTB Adventure powered by Maserati.
The pair finished the 65-kilometre second stage in 3hr 37min 52sec, finishing ahead of The Comets and Team Smile who were second and third respectively.
Van Wyk said stage two featured the most amazing single track.┬áÔÇ£Today’s route was absolutely awesome.┬áAlthough this is the first event that Ben and I have teamed up for, we are very happy with our partnership.┬áWe’re pretty much evenly matched on the mountain bike.┬áBen is definitely a better climber than me, but I make up the time on the single track.┬áToday’s route was undulating and really enjoyable.
“The vibe at the Wines2Whales has been fantastic, while the route features the most amazing scenery.┬á I’ll definitely recommend the event to everybody,ÔÇØ says Van Wyk.
Local mountain biker, Elzaan Visser and Theresa Horn of Team Thandi were the first Veteran Women’s team home on the day with a finishing time of 4:09:10.┬áAccording Visser, she had a better day on route after having fallen on the previous stage.┬á ÔÇ£I really enjoyed today.┬á The experience was just wonderful, hard work, but wonderful.
“The Wines2Whales Adventure riders are extremely friendly and very helpful.┬áThe overall mood at the event is just amazing.┬á Although dubbed the less serious of the two events, we still found ourselves racing today,ÔÇØ laughed Visser.┬á Team Smart Tarts were the second Veteran Women’s Team home on the day, while Team Smith’s came in third.
Ryan Collins and Paul Lagesse of Team Second Wind Sails were the first men’s team home on the day.┬á With a finishing time of 03:10:19 they took gold in the Sub Veteran Men’s Team category.┬á Team Craib Bros placed second in this category, while Team Niner finished third.
Sunday’s stage three was an 85km ride from Grabouw to Onrus.