- Swiss experience helps Beyers take two track titles
- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
Win for Poole, Espach
- Updated: November 5, 2011
Bruce Poole and Eben Espach were top dogs in the men’s team category in the opening stage of the Contego Wines2Whales MTB Adventure cycle race on Friday.
The hard-riding combination covered 70 kilometres between the Lourensford Wine Estate in Somerset West and the Grabouw Country Club. They crossed the finish line first in a fine 3hr 20min 42sec.┬áEspach said they had an awesome day out on the route.┬á ÔÇ£We didn’t go out with the goal to win, but once we were out in front we definitely did our best to stay there.
“Stage one featured the most amazing single track.┬á If today’s routes are anything to go by, Stage Two is going to be amazing,ÔÇØ says Espach.
It was all smiles when Team AG Sport Solutions’ Ronel van Wyk and Ben Cronje crossed the finish line first in the mixed team category with an impressive time of 3:51:32.┬áÔÇ£Switching from road cycling to mountain biking is definitely a challenge. It’s safe to say that mountain biking is where they separate the goats from the sheep, you have to be tough.
“Today’s route was fantastic, with amazing fast free flowing single track.┬áI’m really looking forward to Stage Two,ÔÇØ said Van Wyk.
Saturday’s second stage features a 65km trek, starting and finishing at the Grabouw Country Club.